354: Shutter Island




I was behind on watching, now I am behind on posting! It is one way or the other, I was better at this at the beginning. Let's see, Shutter Island. I love me a good psychological thriller and a period piece. I also have grown to like more of Leonardo's movies, there is something about him that pulls you into his characters and stories he tells. Also, I mean Mark Ruffalo is in this and does a great job at being a supporting role. Now I have seen this movie maybe 3 times and each time I notice something different, wondering how I missed it the previous times. The one part that I hate that I didn't realize until this time around, was the ending. If you haven't seen this movie and do not want it to be spoiled, turn away NOW!

What I didn't realize at the end, was that he was pretending to have reverted back to his state of mind. It was that last thing he said to his 'partner', that makes you kind of go...oh crap. He did all of this on purpose. You know, I understand why he did it. He knows that if he didn't get better, that he would be taken care of. He would essentially be made into a vegetable and completely unaware. But the alternative wasn't great. I mean, could I honestly say I would choose different? I have never been in his shoes and nor would I want to be. It actually made me cry when I realized this, that he was making the decision to not re-enter the world because he knew the truth. He knew the horrors and he knew he couldn't un-see, un-live, undo it all...he felt like a monster. To live in a world without his family and all that weight on his shoulders, was too hard.

His mind was fractured from it and I know that they want to help him by getting him back out in the world...I seriously couldn't fathom that pain. It makes my chest hurt trying to put myself in his shoes when I think about it. I love this movie for all the darkness, for all the depths it takes you, and the richness of the story and its characters. Can't wait for my next time in seeing it, to find out what I didn't catch this run through. ;)

Tori M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

397-461 The End

168: Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies

327: Riddick