134: Ghost Ship



I am going to be honest...I bought this 6+ years ago because it had Karl Urban. I did that with a few movies he was in like Price of Milk (no longer in my collection, couldn't get past the weirdness and it being over a quilt and cows), Doom, Pathfinder and I fully intend on seeing another movie with him in it if it shows up on Netflix/Hulu or is cheap to rent on Prime. Anyways, off of Karl and his rugged, long haired, plaid-ness.

Apparently my mom hadn't seen this in a long time and while we were watching it, the opening reminded her of a Disney movie and not just any Disney movie but Tower of Terror. The pink credits, the music, the 1960's setting and the fact that people died before completely vanishing and leaving a boat behind. Throughout the movie I saw the similarities. A little girl. Same time period. A beautiful woman who sings. Someone you think is human who seeks help but is really a ghost. The gore is where it takes a very sharp turn away from Disney comparison and straight to the R rating.

I kind of like that it kind of references the Ferryman of some sorts with the boat of souls and the unmarked gold. Kind of like a "bribe" for the Ferryman if you have heard that being said. The attention to detail in the movie actually kind of made me feel like I was there in that wet, mossy and rusted environment because the walls were constantly dripping. I do have to say that I like this movie every now and then, like around Halloween or when the mood strikes. Why am I not a scary movie fan? Well when it involves people being sliced into pieces or in half by a wire or laser I tend to only choose a couple of movies on select occasions as previously noted.

Yeah there were more ways of death in this movie, but that has always stuck with me. I didn't like that part in Resident Evil and I won't like it in anything else, especially when they show them falling apart or trying to put themselves back together! Uh-uh.

Now I guess it is off to bed. It is still storming outside, we are officially in a blizzard in April and the warnings of how much snow we are supposed to get have been coming nonstop it seems. If you have warm weather out there in the world, I am a little jealous. But you know this kind of makes for really good movie marathon watching when you have a goal!

Tori M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

397-461 The End

168: Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies

327: Riddick