255: Moulin Rouge!




He's back! This time as the leading man who gets the love interest. In case you didn't know, he was in Mortdecai before this as the Detective. Now back to this movie. This movie is a very classic love story, that is so visually stimulating and chaotic at the same time. I will say that this movie is a little weird, but I have loved this movie since it came out and I was little. When trying to pinpoint why I loved this movie and still do, I would have to say it was the music as a first and the love story as a second. You can tell just how much it was love at first song, baring the soul and bringing a more profound deepness that becomes Christian and Satine's love.

I have to say that the guy who plays the Duke does a great job of being a sleazy, slimy guy and for a minute I was wondering where I knew him from. Well he was Dracula in Van Helsing. I honestly think he looks way better as Dracula! But he has quite the range of skills when it comes to acting and changing his voice to match what he is trying to portray. The one scene in the entire movie that gives me chills and I find the most beautiful is Roxanne song. I know it is weird to think that beautiful, but when you have Christian sing his lament in a way, overlapping Roxanne, the dancing, the lighting and the violins in the background with the percussion....yes, I am a die hard musical lover and I also am a die hard music lover.

I will say that the first maybe 30 minutes of the movie is like someone was on drugs and smashed things together in chaos, color and choreography, but in a very intentional and well done manner. I don't know if that makes sense to you, but for me that is how I can describe it. To find out that this movie inspired a stage adaptation, I think I would be interested to see this on the stage. Another musical to add to my list to see in person. Honestly, this movie is not for everyone, but it is a rare gem for those seeking to find love in a strange place.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and to be loved in return."

Tori M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

397-461 The End

168: Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies

327: Riddick